I just got back from a trip to Dannevirke, to be present when the builder undertook his survey. Met up with Harry, Dad, and Chris as well. All in all, a good afternoon. Took a quick photo for Alex to show where the fridge goes (we couldn't remember it from the first visit).
There were some issues shown up by his survey but not enough to walk away, so that's positive.
The main three issues were:
- The weatherboards need doing, and this could cost $2k or more.
- The fireplace/flue is in dire conditions, and is basically not legal or safe in any way.
- The piles aren't tied to the wood supports underneath the house, and this needs to be done before an earthquake rocks the house right off the concrete studs.
Number 1 we knew about, and we just wanted to know the extent of it. Bad but not as bad as it could be. Not bad enough to walk away.
Number 2 was in much worse condition than expected, and will need attention. Rather than getting it fixed though, we plan on replacing the open fire with a heat pump instead.
Number 3 was a surprise finding though, and is obvious to spot if you know what you're looking for. I did not, so I'm glad we got the report done.
We are now hoping to renegotiate the house price by a couple of thousand dollars. I've sent a letter to the lawyer to that effect - hoping to hear back today.
Meanwhile, I've asked the plumber and the electrician to go ahead and do their reports now.